Behavior Based Safety
B.O.A.T.S. (Boosting Overall Attitudes Thru Safety) card and process
was developed to promote a culture where each worker is aware that he is being observed and graded with “Soon and Certain Feedback” – a definitive critique. B.O.A.T.S. promotes a culture of controlled and documented “Constructive Criticism” and/or “Positive Feedback” for each job. Requiring a process of completing and reviewing a job safety analysis (“JSA”), each worker (knowing he will be critiqued) will carry out the task or job in a more conscientious manner. Upon completion of each job, a quick review takes place - Soon and Certain Feedback - and an appropriate critique is provided. It is human nature to follow proper procedures if one is aware that observation and critique will occur to support a company culture of safety. The elimination of potential hazards and development of a safer way to complete each task or job is our primary goal.
Our expected results from B.O.A.T.S. are
- Reduce the frequency and severity of incidents within our operating areas.
- Improve the quality of the JSA process.
- Improve the understanding of behavioral observation and intervention as a safety tool.
- Improve interaction and communication skills with all co-workers.
- Provide measurable criteria to improve the safety process at the field level.